Are you an author looking for how to sell short stories on Amazon to reach a wider audience?
Guess what? Short stories are extremely profitable for both new and experienced authors!
In this article, I will give you a step-by-step guide on how to publish and sell your short stories on Amazon.
Make sure you go through it carefully.
1. Find Your Niche
Before you start selling your short stories, you need to know who your customer is.
What kind of person will buy your book?
What type of story will they want to read?
The answer to these questions can help you find the right niche for your work.
One way to figure out where to sell your short stories is by looking at what other people are selling.
Maybe someone else has already found a niche that works well for them, and they’re making money off of it!
You can also do some research online or in bookstores to find out what kinds of books are selling well right now.
The important thing is that you find something that really suits your work — not just because it’s popular or easy to write about!
2. Write Your Short Story
The first step in learning how to sell short stories on Amazon is writing your book.
The length of your book will depend on what kind of author you want to be.
There’s no rule that says you have to write a full-length novel, especially if it’s your first time writing anything at all.
If you’re just starting out and have never written anything before, then maybe it would be best if you started with a short story instead of going right into writing a full-length novel.
You don’t need any prior writing experience either – just write whatever comes naturally! I
f you’re an avid reader and enjoy reading books yourself then maybe this will be easier for you because all you’ll need is inspiration from other books that have been written by other authors!
3. Format Your Short Story for Kindle
Now you need to format your story for Kindle.
To do this, you need to make sure that your file has the correct dimensions (at least 6 inches wide by 9.7 inches tall), a minimum resolution of 300 DPI, and an acceptable file type (such as TIFF or JPEG).
You can use any image editing program to create this kind of file, but it’s best if you use a program specifically designed for creating Kindle books.
If you don’t already own one, there are several programs that will help you format your book correctly.
The easiest way to find one is by searching Google for “Kindle book creator” or “kindle book creator software.” You should be able to find several free programs that will allow you to create the proper file type for Kindle with no problem at all.
4. Upload to Amazon KDP service
Once you have your book formatted properly, upload it onto Amazon KDP Services’ website at https://kdp.amazon.com/.
Uploading your short story to Amazon KDP is a great way to get started selling your work on Amazon.
It’s easy, but it does require a few steps.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin and sign in with your regular Amazon account information (the same one you use for shopping).
- Click the “Add new title” button at the top of the page.
- Enter your book details, including title, author name, and description, and then click “Save and continue.” Also, you need to select the right keywords that your audience will use to find your book. To learn how to choose the right keywords for your book, see this resource
- Click on the “Edit eBook Content” tab at the bottom of the screen and upload your manuscript (this may be in Word or PDF format). You can also enter metadata here if you want to customize it further before publishing.
- Once all of this is done, click “Save and publish”. You’ll be brought back to a summary page where you can review everything before clicking “Publish now” at the bottom right corner of the screen.
For a comprehensive guide, see how to publish your book on Amazon.
5. Wait a Couple of Days
Finally, you need to wait for approval from Amazon before your story can be sold on their website.
6. Price Your Short Story at $0.99 Cents or More
Amazon recommends pricing your ebook between $2.99 and $9.99 — but they also recommend pricing at $0.99 cents or more when possible.
Why? Because they want their customers to buy more books from them — and they know that less expensive books will sell better than more expensive ones.
And since they handle all aspects of publishing and selling your book digitally through their Kindle Direct Publishing platform, you don’t have any upfront costs involved in publishing with them either.
It’s important to remember that Amazon is more than a marketplace.
It’s a platform for authors and readers to connect, too.
Where else can you tap into such a large, rich, and diverse market of potential readers?
Selling short stories on Amazon may not make you the next William Shakespeare, but it might be the best place to start.
So, there you have it! You now have a way of getting money for your short stories, and it is super-easy.
Why not give it a try? If you’ve got any questions about publishing your short stories on Amazon as an eBook, just leave them in the comments section below.
Originally posted 2022-06-05 11:55:26.
- Tags: amazon self publishing, how does amazon kdp work, how much does it cost to publish a book on amazon, how to make money on kdp, how to publish a book on amazon and make money, how to publish a kindle single, Is amazon kdp still profitable, Is it free to publish a book on amazon kindle, publish book on amazon, publishing on amazon, when does kindle direct publishing pay